[Page updated: 1 May 2022]
Headlamps 101 was founded in January 2017 by a reptile hobbyist engaged in herpetology in southeast Asia and the United States who spent over 15,000 hours in the tropical rainforest, most of it at night where headlamp use is essential.
Daily use with headlamps improves one’s understanding of the best features, capabilities, and reliablity of headlamp technology.
Everyone’s use of headlamps is a little different. Runners need a headlamp that is tough and provides strong enough light to reveal rocks and other obstructions on the trail or road. Bikers need a super-bright light with high lumens to show them what is in the distance that they will be approaching. Those who fish and hunt will need soft lights that will not harm their night-vision. Cavers (spelunkers) need lights that have a multitude of functions, but primarily a bright flood-beam works well for most uses.
2022 is a great year for headlamps. We have had some updates since the end of 2021. Petzl has now released some new headlamps which nobody else is covering. So, we’ll have those represented in our Best Headlamps of 2022 list.
Get started today looking for one of the best headlamps available, and let us know how you get on!
The Best Headlamps You Can Buy Are:
- SAFE – they won’t start a fire in your house or vehicle. You shouldn’t get BATTERY FIRES or ELECTRIC SHOCKS.
- TOUGH – dropping your headlamp out of your hand onto hard dirt shouldn’t break your headlamp.
- WATERPROOF – your headlamp should at least be able to handle the heaviest monsoon rains.
- More EXPENSIVE than you were planning on. Don’t skimp on your headlamp! You need quality because your life may depend on it.
- BRIGHT – There are headlamps that are too bright and that wash out all details if used in close proximity. The Olight X7r is a prime example. They have nothing within a usable lumen range (700-900). They go from 500 lm to 1200, 3000, 7000, and 12,000 lumens. None work well for most headlamp needs.
Choosing the right headlamp is important for many reasons – especially for your SAFETY! You don’t want the wrong headlamp when you’re in a place where you’re relying on a steady, bright light, to keep you safe. You also don’t want a design “rip-off” light from a low cost manufacturer that starts a fire in your house.
If you’re wondering how we monetize Headlamps101.com; As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links in our posts.
One of our top-rated headlamps from PETZL, it is consistently on top of the most important rating categories and criteria. You cannot go wrong with this light, get yourself one if this review shows you that it will work for your activities. We have a couple of them, and we have been very satisfied.If you want to buy a headlamp today – see our Best Headlamps of 2022 review and recommendations.
If there is a quality headlamp you don’t see reviewed here, that you were thinking about purchasing – please let us know.