[Page updated: 11 February 2018]
Here is where we list the best headlamps for all kinds of activities. Of course, our judgment is subjective, but we really believe we nailed this! We listed higher priced reliable options and lower-priced headlamps when possible.
Top Headlamps For 15 Activities
- Fenix FX-HL60R – nice wide floodlight beam. If going fast, turbo mode will be necessary. If slowly, the second highest setting will be OK.
- Petzl Ultra Rush – narrower beam, and possibly too narrow if going
- Fenix FX-HL60R – on high or 2nd brightest mode.
- Petzl Ultra Rush – if the trails are fairly straight, better for this light. It is not a very wide beam.
Bugging (looking for bugs!)
- Bug Collectors – check this out
Herping – Looking for Snakes
Hiking | Trekking
- Petzl Myo
- Petzl Nao+
- Just about anything you can afford!
Working on Automobile
- Fenix FX-HL60R – nice even beam, slight focus on the center.
- Petzl Myo – nice even beam when the diffuser is up.
- Petzl Nao or Nao+ – nice even beam, slight focus on the center.
Working on Oil Rig
Working in Construction building homes or other buildings
BEST HEADLAMP FOR MOST ANYTHING?
If you’re looking for the best headlamp, for everything, and money is no consideration – you want the best out there, look no further than the Petzl Ultra Rush 760 Lumens Headlamp. It has the best of everything – brightness, durability, battery life, waterproof factor, comfort, options (can get Petzl Accu 4 Battery for Ultra Rush Headlamp on the waist with extra long cable for long-distance ultra-running or hiking).
It is very important to buy quality headlamps because 98% of what you’ll find online is pure junk. The Petzl brand is known worldwide, and for many DECADES, as the top brand headlamp for whatever your outdoor needs. Cave exploring? Petzl had a headlamp for that. Biking? Petzl has a headlamp for that. Working on an Oil Rig in the middle of the ocean? Petzl has a headlamp for that.