[Page updated: 28 September 2019]
New in 2019 is this incredible headlamp from Petzl company, the SWIFT RL in blue (E095BA02), black (E095BA00), and Orange (E095BA01). This is a total surprise as we’ve not seen any new Petzl headlamps at the trade shows yet. Perhaps this one is coming in October 2019?
The Petzl SWIFT RL headlamp will become our #1 or #2 headlamp in 2020, without a doubt.
The couple features that it has will appeal to the masses. This is the ALL-IN-ONE headlamp that fits 98% of users. Then Petzl did us one better… the new SWIFT RL headlamp is retailing for just $119 USD! Finally, an affordable headlamp with the best features. Sure it is NOT perfect, but check out our Pros and Cons list below to see what you get for $119.
The SWIFT RL headlamp from Petzl is powerful enough for every activity you can dream up. Battery life is good, and it has Reactive Lighting Technology like the more expensive Nao+ 750. We’re STOKED!
Petzl SWIFT RL Headlamp PROS
- Very bright at 900 lumens! This brightness in RLT mode (auto-dimming) for up to 2.5 hours.
- High moderate mode of 550 lumens for 2 hours. Perfect for nearly all other activities requiring bright light capability.
- Ultra-lightweight at 100 grams.
- Interesting set of extras. Very reflective headlamp strap and ultra-lightweight. Easy to see battery strength indicator. Reactive Lighting Tech was totally unexpected for this headlamp, and SO appreciated.
- Great price! Petzl is known for headlamps well over $150, so this $119 headlamp is the perfect affordable option for many runners and campers needing a great headlamp.
SWIFT RL CONS
- 6-hour charging time is really ridiculous. Multiple batteries will be needed by anyone doing a long excursion. This is a step backward by Petzl. For comparison, their Nao+ charges in about 4 hours. The Ultra Rush – in about 2 hours. Those are MUCH bigger batteries.
- IPX4 water-resistance is a bit weak. Runners often run in the rain. We’ll see how this fairs in heavy rain.
PETZL SWIFT RL HEADLAMP | 900 Max Lumens
MODELS: Blue (E095BA02), Black (E095BA00), and Orange (E095BA01)
SWIFT RL HEADLAMP DESCRIPTION
This new SWIFT RL headlamp was first shown in a video entitled My Light, My Night Run. Petzl appears to have created this new headlamp for runners specifically. That is fantastic news because there is a huge number of ultrarunners who are going to immediately buy this new lightweight running headlamp.
The description? Well, you see it above. The SWIFT RL is in a similar size and shape as the Petzl Actik Core headlamp, but slightly larger. There are 2 beams – a flood and a spotlight. You can use the flood on its own, or blend it with the spotlight. I’m sure the two blend nicely together – that is one of the great features about Petzl engineering, they always get this part right.
The SWIFT RL is made of hard plastic in three different styles: blue, black, and orange. The headlamp band is designed to be highly reflective, increasing the visibility of runners at night. This is a great addition to the headlamp and something runners have been asking about since the Actik Core reflectivity was first introduced.
This is a very lightweight headlamp (100 grams!) that is fine for adults or children, but children are maybe better suited to the Actik Core 350 headlamp which is even lighter and less expensive ($40).
Petzl has finally created what is almost the ultimate headlamp. Check out the Pros and Cons below to see if this SWIFT RL is the right headlamp for you.
Here are the FULL SPECS!
PETZL SWIFT RL 900 LM HEADLAMP SPECS
- Dimensions (headlamp beam case): 4 cm x 7.6 cm x 4.6 cm (1.6 x 3 x 1.8 inches)
- Weight: 100 grams (3.2 oz.) total with the battery installed.
- Bulbs: Two CREE Neutral White LEDs. Life – 50,000 hours.
- Red Light: none.
- Lock Feature? Yes. Sliding switch.
- Redundancy for Beam Failure? Two separate beams – one spot, one flood.
- Power Modes: Manual: Low, Medium, High. Reactive Lighting Tech: Low, Medium, High.
- Max Lumens: 900 lumens. 1 spot beam and one wider angle beam combine to create the beam shape. with high and low settings.
- Max Beam Distance: 150 meters stated. Testing soon.
- Run-time Range: Using RLT can power headlamp for 2 hours at 900 lumens. 5:40 at 300 lm. At 100 lm for 10:50. Using Manual Mode: 550 lm for 2 hours. 300 lumens for 5 hours. 10 lumens for 100 hours.
- Battery Rating: 2350 mAh. ACCU SWIFT RL Lithium-ion battery (included).
- Recharge Time: About 4 hours with micro-USB cable.
- Water Resistance Rating: IPX 4 (fine for light rain).
- Warranty: 5 years on CREE bulbs. 3 years on the battery (or 300 charging cycles).
- Tilt Range: 70° range – starts at 100° and tilts down to 170°. Note – can also tilt UP for runners wearing it around their necks.
- Number of Tilt Clicks: 7 angles.
- Special Technology: Reactive Lighting Technology – for battery conservation. Brightens when needed and dims as necessary.
Today, this immediately became our FAVORITE moderately expensive headlamp. We are going to sell some of our older headlamps and buy a few of these because we’re sure these SWIFT RL’s will be perfect for what we use them for – night wildlife tours in the jungle.
- Quality of Build – 4/5 Stars **** Stronger plastic and build than the Actik Core. I’m sure it is tough enough for nearly all falls. The strap is quite comfortable and is very reflective – ideal for being seen in traffic.
- Beam Brightness – 5/5 Stars ***** 2 hours is more than we could have asked for at this price range.
- Beam Quality – 4/5 Stars **** Color is right on – pure white. The max beam setting is great for running and many other activities. It has a center bias and is longer than just a circle in the center. Good for showing where feet are about to hit the dirt.
- Battery Life – 4/5 Stars **** Getting there! Almost perfect, but of course, we’d always like longer battery life. This is perfect for our needs. Ultrarunners in an all-night event might want to buy an extra battery.
- Water Resistance – 3/5 Stars *** Not amazing, but probably fine for most uses. We’ll test with a lot of rain and let you know.
- Price – 5/5 Stars ***** At this price, we’re highly recommending the ACTIK CORE. Price is just $119, and the feature set is great for runners and also about 98% of all headlamp users. Petzl NAILED IT on this one.
- Note – We love the pure white color balance and the super-lightweight headlamp in the SWIFT RL. Ideal for kids and adults for most uses.
Let’s See What We’ve Got…
PETZL SWIFT RL FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Super lightweight, at just 100g. Our #1 headlamp of 2019, the OLight H2R is also just 100 g. Petzl is gunning for it! The styling of this headlamp is functional, with reflective areas of the strap, and a variety of three colors to choose from.
There are two light beams – a flood and spot, which blend or stay separate. A battery indicator lets you know exactly how much charge is left with 5 bars of light. There is a micro-USB for charging.
The strap is thick and strong and holds the SWIFT RL firmly. The weight is all in the front, but Petzl compensates by creating a double-strap system for the back of the head, to stabilize the light as you run. The SWIFT RL has one-button operation, controlling all options.
MATERIALS – CONSTRUCTION QUALITY
The SWIFT RL has hard-plastic construction similar to the Reactik+, Actik Core, and NAO+ headlamps from previous years. The light can handle simple falls, and unless you fall on top of it, the SWIFT RL will likely work fine after falls. Petzl makes durable products and this is mid-range in their product line, so it should be better built than the Actik Core – another reason to buy one.
These SWIFT RL headlamps have a water resistance rating of IP X4.
This means this headlamp is water-resistant to splashing water from any direction for a minimum of 5 minutes. The Actik Core headlamp has the same rating, and I’ve used it in medium rain for an hour at a time without any issue. Petzl is notoriously conservative on the water-resistance ratings in my experience.
The ACCU SWIFT RL battery has 2350 mAh capacity and weighs just 50 grams. There is no store-bought AAA battery option available for this headlamp at this time. Actually, there is no information being released in this regard. So, we can HOPE it’s coming. On a down-note, the SWIFT RL takes 6 hours to reach full charge from 0%. Six hours! Yikes.
SWIFT RL BEAM QUALITY
This was just released, so we cannot show a video of the exact beam configuration at various settings. We’re excited to get our first on in the mail next week. We imagine it is VERY similar to the Actik Core beam style with some improvement because it is nearly 3x the brightness at max setting.
I am sure the white-light color balance will be right on – all the Petzl headlamps have perfect white light without any orange tint.
SWIFT RL HEADLAMP SETTING OPTIONS
One push-button on the top of the SWIFT RL cycles through all options and also includes a sliding lock switch so you can manually see the headlamp is locked and not going to turn on while in your luggage or at other odd times. Short and long presses of the button get you to and from Reactive Lighting Technology and back to manual settings.
When the batteries can no longer output the needed charge for the setting you’re in, it will drop down to reserve mode and go for quite a few hours at around 10 lumens, depending on which mode you are in.
WHICH ACTIVITIES IS THE SWIFT RL HEADLAMP BEST FOR?
I think some people will really enjoy this inexpensive headlamp for the following activities:
- RUNNING – street or trail
- WALKING – trails or streets
- FISHING – pier, boat, shore, wade-fishing
- CAMPING – has a low setting ideal for reading books too!
- WILDLIFE EXCURSIONS at night – like we do for ThailandSnakes.com.
DOWNLOAD USER’S MANUAL – SWIFT RL HEADLAMP MANUAL (PDF).
PRICE and AVAILABILITY
This PETZL SWIFT RL in orange, black, and blue is not yet available anywhere. We’re hoping Petzl is more proactive about this than they’ve been in the past. This is a game-changing light because of the 900 lumens brightness makes it ideal for fast-moving activities like running fast downhill and bicycling fast through technical trail at night.
If you are like me, the comfort of knowing that you’re actually going to receive the items you order – is very important. There are very few places I trust when ordering items over $50. I use online shopping for everything I can. If I can’t find it there, I’ll try to find the item at some other online chain, but I can almost always find everything I need online.
What are all the Best Headlamps in 2019? >
Comparison of our Top 4 Headlamps HERE >
Find the lowest price for the Petzl Actik Core here.